Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Does my experience count??

Well, I was having fun at Infy during my training, I'm still having fun, but the problem is I'm actually worried if all that I'm doing will actually count as experience.

I'm in a project with Toyota, and it's a support and maintenance project. I have very little work and I work in morning shifts. I haven't learnt anything as such. I'm just kidding and playing around and doing nothing, not because I want to do nothing, because I have nothing to do. So I went to my Project Manager and asked him the same, and he's like you'll know once you have 5 years in the industry that all this is actually an important learning curve. Is it true or is he just using his managerial tricks on me again?

5 comments:

  1. I have two important thoughts on this.

    1) A company values a guy lot more if he can go beyond what is expected of him. In this case, think of ways how you can value add to the mundane tasks you are doing. Think of newer and smarter ways to do them. Request your manager if you can take on additional tasks that is different from what you are doing. This will surprise him but will earn you his respect. you will also have the satisfaction of learning while adding to your experience.

    2) write down in a piece of paper what interests you the most. Then, write down what you would LIKE to do. Be honest to yourself. Now see what you can do that marries your likes to the opportunities available to you in Infy.

    Remember, it's easy to crib. But a true professional is one who makes the most of the opportunity that is given to him. We usually take things for granted and only realise the value of it when we lose it.

    So, go ahead and kick arse in the things you are currently doing. Then, take on newer tasks that you truly like the challenge of doing and kick arse there too.

    2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's also possible the Dilbert's principle is at work here.. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he is honest when he tells you that. Anyway you can tell by yourself because you are the one in there. Just be honest when you are at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi shravan..I was searching for a good name for my son and I liked your name.and you are sounding genius..I am sure I will hear your name with some big project this time..all the best.

    Friends!!!??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vinati,
    Friends !!!

    Thank you for the hope!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey,

Thanks a lot for dropping in! Your comments mean the world to me...

Cheers,
Shravan